[c-nsp] ASIC to switch port mapping

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Sun Sep 12 19:13:33 EDT 2010

You can always buy more switches and move ports.  The 2960 and the hundreds
of other switches (and blades) just like it is a wiring closet switch for
the enterprise.  It should be common knowledge (no offense if this is new
information to you) that they are oversubscribed, have tiny buffers and are
not suitable for anything but.  The fact is that these switches cost
anywhere from $800 - $2200 and support is also cheap.  This allows us all to
get all the users and printers connected on the cheap.  4900's, Juniper EX's
and the hundreds of other switches (and blades)that are not oversubscribed,
have large queues and can switch at line rate are about $4k - $20k.  It may
actually be cheaper to just buy another 2960 than to upgrade to something
beefier.  Is this really user traffic?  Is the user actually pushing 1g of
traffic or are the ASICs just filling up faster than the frames can be
switched off the buffers? I've never actually seen queues overrun by
something that wasn't server/enterprise grade.