[c-nsp] C65K: Any significant correlation between import filter route-map complexity and BGP Router process utilization?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Sep 13 22:14:56 EDT 2010

On Monday, September 13, 2010 11:08:25 pm Jeremy Reid wrote:

> Word to the wise, outside of us previously failing to
> notice the V6 session output in a (v4) 'show ip bgp
> summary', there were no log messages, etc. indicative of
> the mis-built peer session, and the peer was up and
> working correctly within the V6 context. Operationally,
> All we saw was high CPU for BGP router that could not
> otherwise be explained until the V4 peer session was
> found pointing to the V6 peer's address. Anyway, our
> stupidity -- just something everyone else may want to be
> aware of as a possibility should you ever be
> troubleshooting otherwise unexplainable high CPU
> conditions with BGP Router.

There was a bug in earlier versions of 12.2(33)SRC where
certain changes made to v6 peers under the v6 AFI context
automatically added them to the v4 AFI context. These
changes included:

	- changing the v6 neighbor description.
	- manually shutting/unshutting the v6 neighbor.

Instinctively, one would go under the v4 AFI context and
issue the 'no neighbor ...' command to delete the v6 peer.
While that would work, the statement would not be removed
from the v4 AFI context, and the full 'no neighbor ...'
command would prevail. Not cosmetically pleasant.

That bug ID is CSCsv85641, not sure if it's in any way
related (most of the affected code I see on that one is
related to the 7200/7600).

Cheers,

Mark.