[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Tue Sep 14 16:05:16 EDT 2010

On 14/09/2010 14:40, William F. Maton Sotomayor wrote:
> FTP has been indispensible, especially considering how much larger the
> images are getting and FTP's transfer efficiencies over HTTP start to show.

But that's why they've provided the Java download manager!  To make the
download experience even easier and better than ever!

Sorry, couldn't resist that.  But you have to realise that people who don't
actually download software on a regular basis almost certainly think like this.

Or at least this is the only rational explanation I can come up with for
Cisco attempting to foist a monstrosity like that on their customers.

I'm a huge fan of eating one's own dogfood.  It turns up all sorts of
unpalatable and unbearable things.  Like the java browser plugin, for example.

Nick