[c-nsp] Multihoming

Walter Keen walter.keen at RainierConnect.net
Wed Sep 15 05:26:36 EDT 2010

  Not many options for you I'm afraid.  Some people filter out routes
smaller than a /24.  Even if you had a /24 from ISP1, you would then
have to get their permission to have ISP2 advertise it.  Most aren't
willing to do this.

Is a micro (/24) allocation from ARIN (if in the US) a possibility?  If
so, you could then run BGP to multiple providers and make this a very
simple configuration.  If not, you'll likely have to rely on
application-layer redundancy.  You can prioritize MX records if you are
hosting your mail on-site through ISP1's ip addressing (what you stated
seemed a bit unclear), and you could probably do some round-robin DNS
entries for web hosting, but it won't be perfect.