[c-nsp] Multihoming

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Sep 15 11:15:23 EDT 2010

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010, Walter Keen wrote:

> Not many options for you I'm afraid.  Some people filter out routes smaller
> than a /24.  Even if you had a /24 from ISP1, you would then have to get
> their permission to have ISP2 advertise it.  Most aren't willing to do this.

Huh?  Get a /24 from one of the ISPs.  Get an ASN from ARIN or whoever is
the appropriate registry for your area.  Advertise (BGP) that /24 to both
ISPs.  I've never heard of an ISP not allowing this (except that most
probably won't do BGP with you if you're on a "low end" connection like
DSL/cable.  If you have some sort of leased line or ethernet connectivity
to each provider, it shouldn't be an issue.

> Is a micro (/24) allocation from ARIN (if in the US) a possibility?  If so,
> you could then run BGP to multiple providers and make this a very simple
> configuration.  If not, you'll likely have to rely on application-layer
> redundancy.  You can prioritize MX records if you are hosting your mail
> on-site through ISP1's ip addressing (what you stated seemed a bit unclear),
> and you could probably do some round-robin DNS entries for web hosting, but
> it won't be perfect.

Another option might be to get a small amount of space from each provider,
and VPN into something more stable/better connected.