[c-nsp] Conditional advertise-map

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 12:55:24 EDT 2010

Gert,

Yes, you are correct about the community to 36997 if they offer it and have
implemented their preferences accordingly on all external sessions. I know a
lot of ISP's don't do it / only do it with peering & major upstreams.

You will probably find that the as path prepending will chew more memory
than 1 more prefix matching an existing as path so the subnetting option
works out better.

I can see the problem with routing tables getting bigger, I can also see
that the bigger vendors are charging a huge amount of cash for routers
needed to maintain even a few tables. My suggestion is hardly - as you
suggest - careless. You really don't need to gripe at me about that - thats
just not cricket. I'm just trying to help him out with some suggestions. It
would turn 1 prefix into 2 - thats hardly unreasonable..

Heath