[c-nsp] Conditional advertise-map

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 13:38:26 EDT 2010

I thought you'd say that...

There is absolutely *NO* reason why an additional entry needs to occupy
space in TCAM in this case.
If you have 2 contiguous prefixes that can be directly aggregated to a
single prefix on the next subnet boundary, and that share the same
next-stage-treatment (egress, queueing etc), they can take up only 1 spot.
If a router isn't preprocessing routing information before it goes to the
forwarding plane, then its not efficiently using the expensive resources..

I get your point about the bgp table size, but i'm not suggesting he breaks
a /16 into /24's or something... Please keep that in mind! I am well aware
of the point you are making, but still believe that my suggestion is a
viable solution to the problem.

Oh, and for the record, it would change from 1 prefix into 3, not into 2
like i suggested before (my fault).