[c-nsp] Feedback on upcoming removal of FTP access to secured software

Łukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Wed Sep 15 18:39:14 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-16 00:04, Peter Rathlev wrote:

>> The report IS free. You're propably being charged by a Partner.
> That is correct. The partner charged.

That's of course doable - Cisco can't forbid Partner to ask for
money for the work they're putting into sending some engineer to
do the work. However, usually partner is including the fee for the
work engineer did in future purcharses.

> We've done exactly that. We've now been more or less promised (although
> not formally/written) by our AM that he'll try to get Cisco Advanced
> Services to perform an enterprise wide IBLM.

Well, sure, AS can also do what IBLM can do and even better, they
can generate other interesting reports that IBLM tool can't generate,
but this is completely another service.

> We were told that there's no way we can escape paying for the "junior
> technician" that pushes the button. (And in one place they charged for
> *30* man hours to enter the same SNMPv2 community on ~80 devices. Talk
> about slow typing!)

Well, find another Partner. If you're satisfied with the current one,
negotiate. One way or another, they will propably have to count in
the SE work hours into the potential order - and either you won't be
able to see it, or they'll show it as a separate line quoting X$ which
may or may not be satisfactory for you (negotiations time). The truth
is, partners (Gold/Silver) are actually given additional discount if
they qualified for AIP program, so they can easily use that money to
pay for their own work onsite at the time of IBLM:

http://www.cisco.com/web/offer/channel/channel_services/16804/11/Next_Wave_CDS_Launch_Presentation_PF01.pdf

At take a look here for the Partner site detailing the program:

http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/partners/sales/IBLM/index.html

--
"Everything will be okay in the end.  |                 Łukasz Bromirski
  If it's not okay, it's not the end." |      http://lukasz.bromirski.net