[c-nsp] BGP Peering with new client for vrf's

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Mon Sep 20 00:50:40 EDT 2010

> > Well, if this is a customer of your's and security is of a concern,
you
> > just want to provision multiple (sub)-interfaces, one per VRF you
want
> > to send over.
> > More scalable Inter-AS options (RFC 4364, chapter 10b and 10c)
assume a
> > level of trust between the parties, so I'm not sure this is a
deployment
> > I would consider with a customer.
>
> Our usual implementation is subint per-vrf to client, but this
particular
> client is wanting to scale upwards of 1000 vrf's...so bgp peering
seemed a
> better option?

wow, what type of customer is this? If they are using MPLS-VPN
themselves, provisioning a CsC service might be a more suitable option,
depending on their requirements?
There is a new Inter-AS option ("AB"), where you can maintain control
over the traffic using distinct (sub)-interfaces per VRF, but scale the
control plane using a single eBGP session between the ASBRs. Take a look
at " MPLS VPN - Inter-AS Option AB" feature
(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/mpls/configuration/guide/mp_vpn_ias
_optab.html).
If you trust your client, a simple Inter-AS option B connection (vpnv4
eBGP, labelled interface between ASBRs) would also work.

	oli