[c-nsp] AToM/EoMPLS & LDP on Sup2/MSFC2/PFC2

Alexandre Snarskii snar at snar.spb.ru
Mon Sep 20 03:32:50 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 11:26:10AM -0400, Jason Lixfeld wrote:
> I'm looking to potentially use a Sup2 based 6500 as a AToM/EoMPLS PE/LER
> with customers terminating on various X6248, X6348, X6516 and X6408A ports.
>
> Possible?

Not with these cards. You need some OSM's connected to core to
be able to run MPLS on Sup2-based 65xx. I think these cards can
be found on ebay for cheap, but then please keep in mind that
while it will work - MPLS is not officially supported on Sup2,
and there is a reason for that: MPLS (and IPv6) is done in software
on this platform, so you will not be able to push more than ~1Gbit
of MPLS traffic through..
So, upgrading Sup2 to Sup720 (with power-supplies and fans upgrade)
may be more future-proof idea.

> In a perfect world, port based and VLAN based (the implication being
> that interworking support would need to be there too), in either case,
> the far end of the VC would be to a NPE-G1 flavored PE/LER of some sort.

Port-based EoMPLS is not possible with Sup2 at all. However, in real
life I never experienced problems terminating on Sup2 SVI VC's coming
from port-based equipment (Sup720 or even different vendor).

> Google has shown me configuration example of a Sup2 doing SVI based EoMPLS,
> but that confuses the heck out of me because I know that, for example,
> in Sup720 land, you can't do SVI based unless you have an ES card or a SIP.
> If this is true and it does actually work, would this just be the
> difference between the Sup2 doing it in software vs. the Sup720/ES|SIP
> doing it in hardware?

OSM is the hardware required in case of Sup2.

But, in practice, there is.