[c-nsp] Embeded Packet Capture for DHCP Troubleshooting [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Wed Sep 22 09:52:04 EDT 2010

    0n Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 05:12:10PM +0100, Heath Jones wrote:

    >Well I think your on the right track with the packet capture then.
    >It looks as if the client either never sees the dhcp proposal, or the
    >proposal itself is unacceptable to the client. (there are more
    >potential issues, but only when there is more than 1 dhcp server)
    >
    >so for the access list:
    >access-list 100 permit udp any any eq bootps
    >access-list 100 permit udp any any eq bootpc

Else if you have a FreeBSD box handy take a look at /usr/ports/net/dhcpdump:

   This command parses the output of tcpdump to display the dhcp-packets
   for easier checking and debugging.

   WWW: http://www.mavetju.org/unix/general.php
   Author: Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org>

   -Alex

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.