[c-nsp] QoS on the 2960

Roger Wiklund copse at xy.org
Thu Sep 23 03:53:41 EDT 2010

This should work.

This is the way I did bandwith management on a 3750, policing on
ingress and srr-queue bandwith limit on egress.

The problem with Internet users and TCP is policing. As soon as a
packet exceeds the limit it drops it. And TCP has to resend, and then
you have the TCP sliding window etc. So you will see the a sawtooth
effect if you look at grahps.

Our Internet users complained about this, when they ran TCP based
bandwith testers. If you crank up the burst when you police, you will
see smoother graphs and get better throuthput.

If you test with UDP you should get the full 8 meg.

Regards
Roger