[c-nsp] Performance Difference NM-16ESW-1GIG and NME-16ES-1GIG

Jeffrey Denton dentonj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:32:58 EDT 2010

Looking at getting a couple of 3945s.  NM-16ESW-1GIG is being
recommended by one of my colleagues.  He prefers the easy of use, not
having to session in to the module.  It's been pointed out that the
router IOS will have to devote some of it's time to the module and
perform the switching functions.  We would have to get the 3945 as the
module is not supported in the 3945E.

The NME-16ES-1GIG is of course a newer generation.  The module runs
it's own IOS image.

PoE is not a requirement.

Links to the data sheets:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet09186a00801aca3e.html
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f.html

How much does the older module affect the performance of the router
itself when compared to the newer module?

Thank you