[c-nsp] advertising a route not in IGP

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:24:44 EDT 2010

> One vendor I need to connect to, I need to advertise a specific /24
> (10.200.16.0/24) to the eBGP neighbor. OF course BGP won't advertise the
> route to the eBGP neighbor because the /24 isn't in IGP, only the /16
> summary.

I don't think your going to have much luck. What you are asking, it to
put a route in adj-out that is not in the actual routing table.
Perhaps you could fake it by hacking around with vrf's or something..

> I can't just set a static null route for the /24, because that would
> screw up all traffic going to that subnet through that switch.

Can you set a static that points to the correct next-hop?
The problem is the router would be advertising a route to a
destination that it doesn't actually know about.
I can see what your trying to do, but is this really a good practise?

> I can't just pull the EIGRP summary at the boundary without causing all
> sorts of other fun.

Is the problem that when you try to summarise to /24 and /16, the /16
blocks the /24 ?
You should be able to do both - it would still be legal - I think this
is what you need to investigate further.