[c-nsp] ASN geographical spread

Heath Jones hj1980 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 15:00:43 EDT 2010

> I have used internet looking glasses and routeviews but I am actually
> looking for an equivalent of “sh ip ASN” (instead of “sh ip route”) where a
> certain ASN number’s presence on the internet can be deduced and then
> displayed on a geographical map (google maps).
>
> I think that GeoIP might have this feature but it runs only on Linux/Unix
> and I want something for my windows machine.

The thing to keep in mind is that an AS's "location" on the internet
is completely different to geographical location.
You could dump whois information (possibly in XML already I think) for
each AS and stick it on a map using the registered address.
If you wanted to see which AS's were active, then filter out the ones
that are not listed in a BGP path on routeviews for instance. (show ip
bgp paths)

Hope this helps..