[c-nsp] ASN geographical spread

Nasir Shaikh nasir at nasirshaikh.com
Fri Sep 24 03:14:05 EDT 2010

Aftab,

Great, exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you very much

Nasir Shaikh

  _____

From: Aftab Siddiqui [mailto:aftab.siddiqui at gmail.com]
Sent: vrijdag 24 september 2010 8:55
To: Heath Jones
Cc: Nasir Shaikh; cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] ASN geographical spread

use robtex.com its graphical view is very handy.

Regards,

Aftab A. Siddiqui

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Heath Jones <hj1980 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have used internet looking glasses and routeviews but I am actually
> looking for an equivalent of "sh ip ASN" (instead of "sh ip route") where
> certain ASN number's presence on the internet can be deduced and then
> displayed on a geographical map (google maps).
>
> I think that GeoIP might have this feature but it runs only on Linux/Unix
> and I want something for my windows machine.

The thing to keep in mind is that an AS's "location" on the internet
is completely different to geographical location.
You could dump whois information (possibly in XML already I think) for
each AS and stick it on a map using the registered address.
If you wanted to see which AS's were active, then filter out the ones
that are not listed in a BGP path on routeviews for instance. (show ip
bgp paths)

Hope this helps..