[c-nsp] DS3 Nubie

Jeff Wojciechowski Jeff.Wojciechowski at midlandpaper.com
Fri Sep 24 16:20:39 EDT 2010

Got it - thanks again everyone!

-Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Jay Nakamura [mailto:zeusdadog at gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 3:07 PM
To: Jeff Wojciechowski
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [c-nsp] DS3 Nubie

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:48 PM, Jeff Wojciechowski <Jeff.Wojciechowski at midlandpaper.com> wrote:
> Definitely planning on having the cable guys extend our dmarc with pre-made cables.
>
> How do you know if the DS3 signal is too hot?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Unless you have fancy DS3 test set, only way to find out is start using it.  We saw bunch of errors but telco swore up and down that line was clear.  This list clued me into possible hot circuit.  Stuck a attenuator in the Rx side and error disappeared.  We were using an old 7500 series DS3 card.  Newer cards may be more tolerant.  We no longer have any DS3s other than muxed T1 and I haven't deployed any at customer sites in 5 years so I don't know how newer cards handle it.

This electronic mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents (including any attachments) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete the original message in its entirety (including any attachments) and notify us immediately by reply email so that we may correct our internal records.  Midland Paper Company accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage from use of this electronic mail, including any damage resulting from a computer virus.