[c-nsp] General switching question regarding load balancing host

Tim Durack tdurack at gmail.com
Sun Sep 26 11:09:03 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:
> Just for completeness: under OSes like Linux, there are a few weird/esoteric
> NIC load-balancing methods that *claim* to work - usually where all the
> traffic comes in a single NIC, but is load-balanced out of multiple NICs
> with the source MAC address of each egress NIC, not the attached layer3
> interface. I would avoid like the plague and stick to active/passive.

We have found the various TLB/ALB NIC teaming methods to work very
well, on both Linux and Windows servers. You get two MACs active
outbound, one MAC inbound (due to the fact that ARP will only remember
the last IP/MAC mapping.)

Round-robin should not be used, nor a static 802.3ad style trunk, due
to the MAC flapping issues that have already been mentioned.

Tim:>

--
Tim:>