[c-nsp] How to bring one link down if another related link goes down

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Tue Sep 28 04:12:54 EDT 2010

Or, if your equipment supports it, use ip sla and track based routing.
I use this solution for a couple of tunnels, here's an example:

======================================
ip sla monitor 1
 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.1.1.1
!
ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now
!
track 1 rtr 1 reachability
!

ip sla monitor 2
 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 2.2.2.2
!
ip sla monitor schedule 2 life forever start-time now
!
track 2 rtr 2 reachability
!

ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.1 100 name track 1
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 2.2.2.2 200 name track 2

As long as 1.1.1.1 is available, it's routing will be valid because the smaller administrative distance, if not, then the second one will become active.
In any case, you'll always see only one routing line in table.

Hope this helps,
Ziv