[c-nsp] HSRP Groups on ASR1k

Arie Vayner ariev at vayner.net
Tue Sep 28 15:41:49 EDT 2010

There are 2 versions of HSRP v1 and v2.
V1 supports 255 groups and V2 supports 4096. V2 is quite old, and
should be there on any semi-modern platforms.

Both in HSRPv1 and HSRPv2 the virtual MAC is derived from the group
ID. There are some scenarios where we want to use multiple HSRP groups
on the same L2 domain (dual active gateways...), and then we have to
use different MAC (and group).

Most other cases, when L2 domains are seperate, the same group ID can
be reused.

Arie

--
Sent from my mobile device