[c-nsp] MPLS VPN over mGRE - PMTUD?

Alasdair McWilliam alasdairm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 19:15:26 EDT 2010

Thanks for the heads up on that.

My 'PE' routers will be 7200-NPE400 FE in/out or ASR1k GbE in/out (and possibly ISR 3945s if/when the feature is available..) all with standard 1500MTU. Inside LAN interfaces will be subinterfaces (one per VRF) and outside WAN interfaces will be access ports running IGP into IP core. Providing I can ensure ICMP Unreachables through the client/server end to end path, I guess I should be OK. Would you recommend setting anything like mss adjust on the inside sub-interfaces if I can't? (Or as well as?!)

Do you (or anyone...) think there would be any noticeable performance penalty (latency, throughput) with this scenario?

I have not yet investigated the possibility of simply increasing the MTU on all my outside core interfaces but that is most likely out of my control!

Any help/comments/suggestions appreciated! :-)

Cheers
Al