[c-nsp] can I use | pipe line such as "| inc xxx" and regexp such as "regexp ^$" both , when I execute "show bgp "

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Sep 30 22:48:01 EDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 03:36:38 pm Peter Rathlev
wrote:

> Just the lack of clarity in documentation and/or lack of

I haven't had a chance to deploy kinky stuff with IOS XR
(our boxes are core nodes, and the most interesting things
are IS-IS, IPv6 and LDP, hehe).

But all commands and the features they provide are very-well
documented on www.cisco.com'. I was able to use the Master
Command reference to convert my ex-JUNOS core nodes to IOS
XR (considering those were previously converted from IOS to
JUNOS) without a single e-mail/call to my SE or TAC. Line
for line.

With regard to scenario's, yes, I'd say that is lacking when
compared to IOS, but then again, IOS has been around for a
little bit.

I will admit, IOS XR was a little shady in the beginning,
but 3.9.1 (I haven't used anything earlier) is quite there.
You even get some pretty cool stuff on the ASR9000 like a
BGP-signaled VPLS implementation, among other edge features
already available in IOS.

> features when using "show bgp ...".

There's a number of things they don't have, and this is to
be expected for a box that is still fairly new on the scene.
IOS XR 4.0 and later will bring a ton of features, not least
of which is BFD for LACP links (not that it works, but...).

And someone else already mentioned, 3.8 brought with it some
BGP switches that can do the stuff you're looking for. Later
releases will simply make it more elegant.

> I don't know the
> platform myself, I was just surprised that a thing like
> combining regexp/quote-regexp and an include doesn't
> work in at least 3.6.3.

Haven't used 3.6.anything, but it sounds a little dated
unless TAC are recommending it (which I'd find curious,
but...).

> >From what I hear in other places the CRS-1 is a nice
> >box. :-)

I do have to agree here. It is a pretty decent box - I mean,
the interface with the CLI is still not probably as great as
JUNOS, in as far as its intuition with the rest of
configuration goes, but it's far better than IOS.

Upgrading the box via SMU's while it's in-service is a huge
plus. Even if some SMU's will need to reload part of the
forwarding engine or bits of the control plane now and then,
it's still better than a total reload.

And the one really cool thing I found was how easy the
multi-chassis architecture really is. It sounds daunting if
you haven't read or about or seen it in action, but once you
have, you can do it with one eye closed at midday on a
Tuesday including a break for lunch mid-way :-).

All-in-all, not a bad box. Definitely worth considering if
you're looking to beef up your core, particularly for the
interesting deals Cisco can offer when compared to the
competition, including in-house, i.e., XR 12000.

Cheers,

Mark.