[c-nsp] Dual OC3 - Separate Carrier - Load-balancing 7201

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Apr 4 18:08:32 EDT 2011

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Mark Mason wrote:

> We are planning on terminating dual OC3 point-to-point circuits
> (PA-POS-2OC3) from different carriers on 7201 NPE-G2's at two of our
> DC's and do either HDLC CEF per packet load-balancing or multilink PPP
> bundle together. What are some of the questions and responses from the
> field for anyone who has done this type of setup?

I would stay away from per-packet load-sharing in this design, unless
there is a really compelling reason to use it.  The biggest reason to
stay away is that OC3 (technically, OC3c) circuits from different
carriers to the same locations could have vastly different end-to-end
latencies.  If they are significantly different, dealing with packets
arriving out of order could be a major headache, and throughput could
suffer greatly.

You might also want to look at a Gigabit Ethernet solution, if that's an
option and you're not chained to a POS design.  The operating costs of a
pair of gig-e circuits could very well be substantially lower than a pair
of OC3cs, with the added benefit of being able to provide a lot more
bandwidth.  If you were to get two gig-e circuits, the caveat above
related to per-packet load-sharing would still apply.

In a POS world, if you need more than 155 Mb/s, you either
need to install another POS circuit, or start upgrading to OC12c or
higher.  That also throws in the need to purchase new router hardware,
because the 7201 won't handle a POS OC12c, so your costs per megabit
wouldn't scale too well.

jms