[c-nsp] Dual OC3 - Separate Carrier - Load-balancing 7201

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Apr 5 08:56:25 EDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, arulgobinath emmanuel wrote:

> " out of order could be a major headache, and throughput could suffer
> greatly." I haven't tried nor experience in similar setup according to my
> search MLPPP designed to handle the out of order packet (rfc1990)   but it
> can impact the router performance & buffer space.

If you're doing per-packet load-sharing, the only way to handle
out-of-order packets is to have deep buffers.  Either the routers or hosts
have to buffer packets to get them back into the right order, or the
applications themselves need to be able to tolerate packets arriving out
of order.  In the worst case, the proper sequence of packets does not
arrive before the buffer fills, which would force the application to
either re-transmit the affected chunk of data, or throw an error.

None of these events are particularly good for maximizing throughput.

jms