[c-nsp] VRF-ish solution for L2 interfaces?

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Apr 6 15:11:42 EDT 2011

On 04/06/2011 05:16 PM, randal k wrote:
> NSP'ers,
>
> For unfortunate reasons I am asking the collective if there is a way to do
> VRF-lite style segragation for layer-2 interfaces. Situation is that I have
> a 6509, and I need to make a single blade on the chassis have a completely
> separate VLAN database from the rest of the chassis, effectively letting me
> use a VLAN twice on the chassis without allowing them to talk to each other.

No. The VLAN space is chassis-global for LAN cards.

One some WAN cards I believe you can do sub-interfaces where vlans are
re-used, but I'm not sure if that's layer2 capable, and most of the WAN
cards are pricey and low density so probably useless for your case.

VLAN translation might be of some use to you, but you've got to be
careful with the caveats (port groupings, limits on number of mappings)