[c-nsp] NetFlow for billing on 6500/SUP720-3B

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 7 04:31:19 EDT 2011

On 04/07/2011 02:22 AM, TCIS List Acct wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A bit of background...
>
> We are preparing to deploy our first pair of 6509s with a SUP720-3B

Can I ask: are these new? Did Cisco / a partner sell you these recently?

If so, go back and ask them why they didn't advise you to wait for
sup2T, which is supposed to have much better netflow, and similar
pricing. I've heard estimates of May release dates.

As others have pointed out, the netflow caveats in PFC-3 devices (6500,
7600) don't lend themselves to accurate billing.

(Having said that, we use them for this, sort of, but we don't care
about accuracy and under-counting - it's just for generating a "sinners
list" of top-talkers)