[c-nsp] Cisco 12410 vs XR-12410 routers

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Sat Apr 9 18:20:36 EDT 2011

Lee,

If you are talking about buying new routers today, GSRs probably don't make sense (especially for 1 and 10G).

Keep in mind that the fastest SIP for a 12810 is the SIP-600/601 which is a 10G full-duplex SIP.

This means that if you put two 10G interfaces in a SIP-600/601 that you will be oversubscribed 2:1.

and that the maximum 10G density for a 10 slot chassis is really paltry for the amount of money you would be paying for these routers.

and if you absolutely have to buy a GSR, don't buy a 12810 because of the caveat mentioned above there is no real-world difference between a 12410 and a 12810. (especially for 1 and 10G)

(Plus finding parts, even new parts for a 12810 is really really awful).

I believe there is a single Engine6 card available that takes advantage of the 12810's enhanced "width" but it's not a 10G card, OC-XXX.

>From an investment standpoint you may be better off going with an ASR9 and if you have the budget I hear CRS-1 is nice too =)

-Drew