[c-nsp] POS Interface Alarm

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Wed Apr 13 01:24:41 EDT 2011

Your getting corrupted SONET frames in the end to end path (B3) layer.
The router is alerting you that the bit error rate (BER) is exceeding
the default threshold for BER.  Are you receiving the alarm constantly
or only a couple of times a day?  I'm not familiar with the ASR syntax,
but the IOS output from "show controllers pos0/0/0" would be helpful.  I
would recommend that you contact your transport provider or group to see
if they are seeing any errors on the circuit.  If you are getting a
constant stream of alarms then I would recommend a hard loopback on each
end to make sure that the router linecard/optics are not the culprit.
Note, when doing the hard loopback you need to consider changing
encapsulation to Cisco HDLC (If not already configured), clock source
internal, and padding to prevent over driving your optical receiver.  If
both ends run clean to a hard loopback then you need to work with your
transport provider to do incrementing loopbacks to test each segment of
the transport circuit.  If the alarms  / B3 errors are only trickling
in, it can take a long time to isolate the location of the fault.