[c-nsp] Are "line protocol" and LIT the same?

Lukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Tue Apr 26 06:09:52 EDT 2011

On 2011-04-26 01:11, Martin T wrote:
> When Cisco switch or router port is "connected", it has status "line
> protocol is up". As far as I know, this applies to all interface
> types(10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T, 1000BASE-LX10, 1000BASE-SX etc
> with different transceivers).
> What is this "line protocol"? I always thought "line protocol" is up
> once any electrical pulses are detected by Rx. Or is "line protocol"
> strictly "link integrity test"(LIT) pulses(100-200ns of electrical
> pulses with 16ms+/-8ms interval)? Any clarification would be much
> appreciated.

"Line protocol" for Ethernet interfaces is Ethernet frame. Cisco boxes
send Ethernet keepalive frame and when it doesn't loop back, they
declare line protocol down:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/interface/command/reference/int_i1g.html#wp1154231

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net