[c-nsp] Cisco Snmp failed-community question

Ryan Pavely paradox at nac.net
Tue Aug 2 12:07:50 EDT 2011

We are hitting the snmp limit on a few cisco devices.  Show Snmp shows a
large, and increasing, volume of Failed Community requests.  Before I go
and find/limit the valid requests, I want to lock down these failed
community requests.

I was unable to obtain anything useful from "debug snmp (headers,
packets, requests, sessions)".  I am assuming what I see in "debug snmp
packets" are only the packets that passed the ACL and security filters.

Any suggestions how we can trap/trace these?"

> %SNMP-3-INPUT_QFULL_ERR: Packet dropped due to input queue full

> #show snmp
>     21662 Unknown community name

We have an access-list applied to snmp..

--

   Ryan Pavely
    Director Research And Development