[c-nsp] 6PE

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Aug 2 21:28:32 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 03, 2011 03:55:43 AM waseem thaer
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm interested in the 6PE solution to offer IPv6 for
> customers, for those of you who have checked this
> solution in production network please share your
> experiences and what are the hardware and software
> configurations you have??

It is a valid approach in operationalizing v6 in your
network, and has been used quite extensively. But I'd say
that if you had the choice, don't run it.

6PE depends on MPLS, which depends on IPv4. If your v4 dies,
your MPLS dies, your v6 dies.

If your MPLS dies, your v6 dies.

Plus, 6PE is yet another tunneling technology through which
to run your v6 network.

We have 2 large MPLS networks, but have resisted 6PE which
always seems easier (and makes the MPLS zealots happy
because it's yet another thing MPLS can wrap itself around).

Native/dual-stack is always best. If you can do it, prefer
that. It's cleaner and less dependent on many other things.

But if 6PE is your only option (I don't see how since
anything decent enough to run 6PE these days can run native
v6), then by all means, go ahead :-).

Cheers,

Mark.