[c-nsp] Dumb question

Ziv Leyes zivl at gilat.net
Wed Aug 3 09:19:02 EDT 2011

Well, I tried to simplify the scenario to only concentrate on my problem, the scenario is a little bit more complicated, but not relevant for the question

The question is, given the fact I'm trying to manage the eBGP advertising decisions based on what is happening on RTR1.
Let's suppose I need to give operators access only to RTR1 but I want them to decide which prefixes will be advertised to which ISP, but they can't get access to RTR2 to do it there, so I want to setup RTR2 to do the advertising matching the decisions that were made on RTR1.

I just spoke with a friend and he told me that maybe I need to rewrite the communities, for example RTR1 advertises prefix 1.1.1.1/24 with community xx:1 and 2.2.2.2/24 with xx:2
RTR2 has an incoming route-map towards RTR1 that allows filters routes according to matching communities.
Now I have two prefixes that are seen with their communities, what I simply tried to do was a route-map outgoing towards the ISPs that match the community (that came from the RTR1) and then advertise them over the ISPs with or without prepending, according to my previously chosen decision.
My friend thinks I need to match the community on the route-map in from RTR1 and then set a new community, e.g

route-map RTR1-IN permit 10
 match community xx:1
 set community yy:1
route-map RTR1-IN permit 20
 match community xx:2
 set community yy:2
!
route-map ISP1 permit 10
 match community yy:1
route-map ISP1 permit 20
 match community yy:2
 set as-path prepend ........

and viceversa for ISP2

What I tried was matching community xx:1 and xx:2 as they came from RTR1, perhaps here's the problem?

Ziv