[c-nsp] multihoming solution over two different ISP's

Martin T m4rtntns at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 05:28:20 EDT 2011

At the moment I have a following setup:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/4227/252530.png

The ISP-A connection is the primary link and the ISP-B connection(over
WiMAX) is the backup one. In case the primary link fails, I physically
plug out the fiber-optical converter cable from my Cisco router(Cisco
1841) and insert the one from WiMAX device. In addition, I reconfigure
the IP parameters in the router. This is probably the most manual
"multihoming" possible :) I'm ready to upgrade my router so it
supports two Ethernet cables.

a) Is it somehow possible to automatically switch over to another one
connection in case the primary one fails. For example ping
www.google.com over a period of time and in case it doesn't respond,
automatically switch over to backup connection?

b) Is it somehow possible to have one static IP address while using
the services of two different IPSs?

While I'm afraid the latter is impossible, the first automatic
switchover should be somehow doable, shouldn't it? As I told, I'm
ready to invest into new equipment if it's necessary.

PS I'm aware, that probably the most elegant solution would be a BGP
sessions with ISP routers over different last-mile technologies. This
would provide fast failover and I could use one IP address.

What are the best practices for multihome connection over two different ISP's?

regards,
martin