[c-nsp] Best Practices for connecting MPLS core to Internet?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Aug 9 09:25:45 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, August 09, 2011 09:15:10 PM Gert Doering wrote:

> JFTR, the 7206 and 7204 have the same footprint.  The -04
> just has two slots bolted over with metal plates and a
> different eeprom (and some series even had the backplane
> connectors there).

Yes, actually. That's right! We have only one unit in our
network, and I forgot the extra 2x slots are blocked, but
present :-).

In any case, at least since 2007, we saw no benefit in
buying the 4-slot chassis (and now that I recall more
clearly, no space-gain benefit). Price-wise, really no
difference with the 6-slot chassis.

> ... now the 7201 / 7301 are indeed much smaller.

And mega work horses, too.

We've been using them for route reflection in one of our
networks, and they just keep chugging along. Tons of peers,
many full feeds, 2% idling CPU.

If only I could squeeze 16GB of RAM into them :-).

Mark.