[c-nsp] Netflow export error from C6506 (WS-X6704-10GE)

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Wed Aug 10 05:59:41 EDT 2011

On Wed, 2011-08-10 at 10:33 +0100, Nick Hilliard wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 05:57, Stas Bakulin wrote:
> > We have a problem with exporting netflow from WS-X6704-10GE (with
> > DFC3CXL) line cards.
> > ICAM used for 99% and TCAM not used.
>
> This is a FAQ.  SUP720 is a trashy platform for handling netflow.  Your
> only options are: less traffic on your box, aggressive aging or adding DFCs.

While that is correct, isn't it still a little strange that TCAM is used
1% and ICAM is used 99%? ICAM space should just handle collisions in
TCAM space, and has only a few (<< 100, don't remember exactly) entries.

What kind of flows would do that? Is there any way to ask the PFC/DFC to
hash in another way? Apart from changing the flow-mask maybe?

Stas: What kind of traffic does this box see? Is it Internet or
something else? Does the situation allow you to try changing the
flow-mask to see how that makes a difference?

Sorry if I'm way off here. I don't have much Internet experience. :-)

--
Peter