[c-nsp] New Service Provider?

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Aug 10 09:47:41 EDT 2011

On Wednesday, August 10, 2011 01:04:42 PM Ryan Finnesey
wrote:

> If we are a new service provider and building out a new
> network does the group have any recommendations on the
> best way to work with cisco?  Do we want to join there
> partner program?

Ask a vendor to stand you up a network, and they'll be all
too happy to :-).

My advice, if you can, use your own in-house design (since
it's new, and perhaps small for now) and implementation
team.

As much as the vendors offer consulting and professional
services to ISP's, you really aren't the only customer they
have. You won't get the same amount of attention from the
vendor that you would put into your own network, whether
technical, operations or commercial, despite how many nights
they spend in your office.

Also, your own deployments (especially in the early days)
give you a lot more experience which you can use to call the
vendors on when they think they can take you for a ride in
the future.

From an engineering standpoint, the best networks on the
Internet, I believe, are those that refrain from wholesale
out-sourcing of network design to vendors. As networks
scale, it's not uncommon to out-source deployment, but I
strongly believe design should be driven by the ISP, and
include the vendor as and when required.

Mark.