[c-nsp] What happens during the "shutdown" and "no shutdown" to a 1000BASE-LX10 port

Terence Scott terence.scott at um.edu.mt
Thu Aug 11 03:04:33 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,

Can't say for sure but what may have happened is that Gi0/24 on the
2960G may have entered the err-disable state for some reason (one
possibility is a temporary bridging loop - check your spanning tree
settings). When a port is in err-disable state the output of the "show
interfaces" command shows no deviation from when the port is operating
normally so you need to do a "show interfaces status". Once a port
enters the err-disable state the only way to restore normal operation is
to issue the "shutdown" and "no shutdown" commands. You can use the
"errdisable recovery interval" command to set a timer for a port to
automatically come out of err-disable state, however this should be used
with caution (there is usually a good reason for a port to enter the
err-disable state so it isn't a good idea to re-enable it before the
root cause is resolved).

Cheers,

Terence