[c-nsp] Brocade Vs Cisco

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Aug 11 12:48:14 EDT 2011

I think your original question was about carrier ethernet gear.  I have also
had some bad experiences with foundry/brocade equipment.  Cisco's metro-e
offering leaves something to be desired as well though.  I actually went
with ciena switches and mac-in-mac or PBB encapsulation.  It's much more
robust than vpls/L2vpn (at least until T-MPLS is standardized) and is
simpler to implement and supported on lower cost gear.  Most use vpls or
l2vpn in their core to make use of existing routers.  I would recommend
ciena (if you can get over the "nortel-speak" command line) for an edge
metro deployment.  Brocade is better off in a DC environment delivering more
generic ethernet services.  Just my 2 cents.

Keegan