[c-nsp] What happens during the "shutdown" and "no shutdown" to a 1000BASE-LX10 port

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 15:33:03 EDT 2011

+1

The main thing is that the interface has ties to a number of different
corners of the code (i.e., spanning-tree, vlan interface state,
routing protocols, etc). When you "shut" the interface we send
notifications to all of those interested parties to destroy the data
structures/de-provision the service/turn off.

When we "no shut" we bring the interface back on and tell all of these
services to start over. You hit a very large number of places in the
code with this action.

If you've ever been on a TAC call where they spend an hour or two
trying to find out what's broken only to fix it with an interface flap
it's because they are trying to figure out exactly what component is
misbehaving. They don't want to flap the interface immediately because
that will reset whatever bad state the code got in and all information
about precise root cause will be lost.

-Pete