[c-nsp] BGP router upgrade

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Aug 13 10:58:40 EDT 2011

On (2011-08-13 10:27 -0400), Pete Lumbis wrote:

> The Sup720 on a 6k/7600 won't be what you are looking for in a large
> peering environment. I'd suggest an NPE-G2 if the 7200 is still
> suiting you needs and only needs a small upgrade.

Majority of Internet traffic is still being pushed by 6500 routers today,
because it's ghetto fabolous (it's cheap, it's fast, it's easily available from
gray market, it works)
You can choke NPE-G2 at maybe 300Mbps if you're doing QoS, and Internet it
aggressive place to be.

Some other posts suggesting NPE-G1 is better than RSP720, is bit streching it,
considering RSP720 runs PowerQUICC III MPC8548E and NPE-G2 (marketed as twice
the performance of NPE-G1) runs MPC7448 they are roughly in same performance
range, while obviously RSP720 will only do control-plane there.

NPE-G[12] will load full table considerably faster than SUP720-3BXL or RSP720,
but this is not due to control-plane congestion, but rather timing issue in
IOS, which I've been told would be large change to fix.

Bottom line, I would under no situation ever consider NPE-G[12] for forwarding
Internet peering traffic (wording chosen carefully:). And I have lot of love
for them.

--
  ++ytti