[c-nsp] remote location voice qos with switches

Arie Vayner (avayner) avayner at cisco.com
Wed Aug 17 05:32:09 EDT 2011

Dan,

Most likely what you would want to do is to implement an hierarchical
QOS policy using a parent shaper, and in the child policy put the VOIP
traffic in the priority queue, while the rest of the data in its
respective queues (high priority data, bulk transfers etc).

The reason for the need for such a shaper is to allow the network to
"know" how much bandwidth you really have downstream, or else nothing
would stop the traffic from bursting to the physical line rate of the
link (which is 100M or even 1G), while your real downstream bandwidth is
70Mbps.
In such cases traffic would be dropped on the wireless bridge, and it
does not have any awareness  of which traffic class the packets being
dropped belong to, so it would drop some data packets and some voice
packets.

Unfortunately, the Cat 3560 is the wrong tool for the task... I would
suggest you look at either using a "real" router (like the 2900/3900
series) or maybe a metro switch (ME3600 could be a great option).
Note that the same functionality has to be implemented on both ends of
the link.

This is a common problem, and is generally called "sub rate links"
This is another reference:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/94076

Arie