[c-nsp] ASR opinions..

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Aug 21 01:39:46 EDT 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 08:28:22 AM John Elliot wrote:

> Hi, Looking at the 1002's

We like the ASR1002's, but while we haven't used them in a
broadband aggregation role, we find the RP1 very slow,
particularly when saving configurations and such. But then
again, the ASR1002's RP is a fixed unit inside the chassis
and can't be upgraded.

I'd also suggest not enabling the software redundancy for
IOS. This essentially uses up all available memory and will
eventually cause the router to crash and reboot. Since we
buy the ASR1002's and operate them in physically redundant
chassis' doing the same thing, we can do without the
software redundancy. I expect the ASR1004's to have the same
problem, which is why we never buy them and either go for
the ASR1002 or ASR1006 or higher. The ASR1006 and above will
offer hardware-based control plane redundancy.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.