[c-nsp] ASR opinions..

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sun Aug 21 08:46:19 EDT 2011

On Sunday, August 21, 2011 01:55:35 PM John Elliot wrote:

> Thanks - Can you please elaborate on how you are running
> them as redundant pairs(As this is what we are wanting
> to do) - interchassis HA, or something else?

For the border/peering routers, there's no (in)direct
communication between the different chassis. Just regular IP
routing where the edge routers in the network choose which
border router to use for exit, e.t.c.

However, we're deploying some NAT services and will be
implementing the inter-chassis NAT redundancy feature across
2x ASR1006's, to allow for session state on the backup NAT
router should the main one fail.

> Have you come across any "gotchas" on the asr's...having
> never touched/seen XE, how does it compare to standard
> ios?

Hardware-wise, not really. We've been lucky that all the
units we've got haven't failed in any way.

The biggest problem with the ASR1000 is IOS XE. We've been
running the box since IOS XE 2.4, and that had a number of
key features missing when compared to something like
12.2(33)SR*, which is what IOS XE is based on.

That said, we're now running IOS XE 3.3.1S and it has
greatly improved. We continue to use this platform because
all the features we need do not require any additional
hardware, so we know those missing features will come
eventually. One of the biggest areas for us that were
lacking was QoS, but it's getting there - simple things like
marking statistics for service policies has only just become
available (and requires a special command to actually enable
it).

But otherwise, all in all, we're happy, and will be buying
more ASR1000's. I think they'll be as popular the 7200's,
just with more horsepower.

> Much appreciated on the software redundancy tip!

Sure!

Cheers,

Mark.