[c-nsp] 7206VXR NPE-G1 Upgrade from 12.4 to 15.0 High CPU

Chris Gotstein chris at uplogon.com
Mon Aug 22 05:18:10 EDT 2011

Decided to move from IOS 12.4 to 15.0 (15.0(1)M7) on a 7206VXR with
NPE-G1.  Since doing the upgrade, i've seen increased CPU usage in the
IP Input process.  The configuration remained the same after the
upgrade.  Verified CEF on all interfaces.  Followed troubleshooting docs
on Cisco's site, as well as searching the archives of nsp.  Not able to
find any info to help troubleshoot this issue.  This is an edge router
connecting to our 2 upstream providers, taking full BGP routes.  As of
4am (CST), traffic is pretty much dead, less than 20Mbs going through,
and CPU usage is at 35%.  Normally it's around 10% for this time of
night.  Any ideas of what could be going on?  I haven't downgraded the
IOS just yet, hoping to see if i might have missed something easy.  Thanks,

--
Chris Gotstein, Network Engineer, U.P. Logon/Computer Connection U.P.
http://uplogon.com | +1 906 774 4847 | chris at uplogon.com