[c-nsp] 7206VXR NPE-G1 Upgrade from 12.4 to 15.0 High CPU

Yann GAUTERON yann at gauteron.me
Tue Aug 23 01:49:31 EDT 2011

I've got some high CPU measured on another Cisco equipment (Catalyst 4500,
so different architecture and different process involved). But this story
can maybe help.

The story ended when we discovered that on a given SVI, my switch generated
lots of ICMP Redirects on a given VLAN.

Maybe this can also be the case by your router. Try (if you don't need them
to be enabled) to disable "ICMP redirects" ("no ip redirects" on the routed
interfaces). This is now one of the line we introduce in our best practices.
We can imagine that when you upgraded your IOS, another (unrelated) change
occurred on your network, such a new host that is sending traffic to your
router instead to send it to another router on the same subnet which would
have a better route.

Cheers,
Y.