[c-nsp] BVI MTU Question

Randy randy_94108 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 01:54:45 EDT 2011

I perhaps; should have been *clearer*!
Default-MTUs for different media-types are *different*!

That does not by any stretch of the imagination *imply* that a router/switch's BVI/SVI/L3-interface will *auto-magically* coalesce(INCREASE) transit-datagrams to fit the MTU of the outgoing-interface.

"Nagle" in this case does not apply since we are talking transit-traffic as opposed  to locally-generated from said switch/router.

Going back to my original-response:

Fragmentation/Re-assembly happen at L3 NOT at L2.(as long DF bit is not set
by initiator.(seperate-tutorial?) Also-Applicable is the "lowest-common-denominator" mentioned in my original response.

What you are trying to accomplish:

1) auto-magically-coalesce datagrams to fit the larger-mtu-of the outgoing-int doesn't work.

As mentioned before, the lowest-common-denominator is what works.

./Randy