[c-nsp] Inter router BGP network tuning pointer?

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Tue Aug 23 07:53:04 EDT 2011

Hi,

Let's keep in mind that there has been number of BGP enhancements since
this book was published which are rather aimed at automatic self-tuning
so overwriting defaults may actually lead to much worse behaviour :)

To bring a few examples ...

RR Scale
 BGP Selective Table Download  – CSCsv92342

PE Scale
 PE - CE Optimization – CSCsx79511
 VRF based Advertise bits – CSCtc78023

General BGP Scale
 Update Generation Enhancements – CSCsl75177
 Route Refresh /Startup neighbor Enhancements – CSCsl75177
 Keepalive Enhancements – CSCsv61073
 Adaptive update message Cache size – CSCsz49626

BGP Slow Peer Support – CSCsv61392

BGP Vrf based dampening – CSCta55561

BGP NSR and GR changes – CSCsr62529, CSCsv28904, CSCtb36849, CSCsy88916,
CSCsg70409, CSCsy32510

In general tuning IOS BGP is very release dependent. What helps in one
release may not necessarily provide much advantage in other release.

Cheers,
R.