[c-nsp] Q and Q De-encapsulation

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Wed Aug 24 19:22:10 EDT 2011

2011/8/24 Tóth András <diosbejgli at gmail.com>

> An egress tunnel port strips the 2-byte Ethertype field (0x8100)

and

the 2-byte length field and

The ethertype field is part of the ethernet header and is set to 0x8000 for
all modern ethernet.  Did you mean it rewrites the TPID field from 0x9100 to
0x8100? Did you mean it strips the outertag?  Likewise the TPID is part of a
valid vlan tag and shouldn't be stripped.  Also, what happens if the next
hop device is using TPID 0x9100?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EtherType
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.1Q

transmits the traffic with the 802.1Q tag

> still intact to an 802.1Q trunk port on a customer device.

I guess I'd expect a port configured as access not to transmit tagged frames
and to not have to go look at the ingress port to figure out what's coming
out of it.  Still seems strange.