[c-nsp] why to define both inside and outside interfaces when setting up nat?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Aug 28 05:54:00 EDT 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 01:38:53PM +0430, h bagade wrote:
> I'm wondering why we should define both inside and outside interfaces to get
> nat worked when we just only want to run inside source natting? In the case
> of inside source nat, only outside interface is important for natting; the
> packets are natted on their way outside so there is no need to specify
> inside interfaces. Is there a specific reason that both inside and outside
> interfaces should be specified?

You could have multiple inside and outside interfaces, and the router
needs to know when to NAT and when *not* to NAT.

> in this example, packets from inside network with source addresses of
> 11.11.11.0 are natted to the range (172.16.10.1-172.16.10.63) when exiting
> GigabitEthernet0/1 which is outside interface. why should GigabitEthernet0/0
> should be specified as inside interface to make the nat do its work?

This is how IOS NAT is defined: NAT will apply when a packet traverses
from an "inside" to an "outside" interface - and this is cool, because it
gives you lots of flexibility for non-standard rules.

Unfortunately, lots of people have complained that this is too complicated
(after all, their $30-only-a-single-WAN-Interface router at home can do
it with a single click) so now we have the abomination of NVIs...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de