[c-nsp] ASR opinions..

Robert Raszuk robert at raszuk.net
Mon Aug 29 14:14:15 EDT 2011

Hi Mark,

Well what I meant to say is that the route will not be in global RIB
either. It will only be in BGP table. IOS BGP does not have a concept
of local RIB like some other BGP implementations.

Also on the other hand what is not so nice about ASR1K used as control
plane box is that only half of RP memory will be given to IOS while
the other half will be reserved for system/platform use. This is just
#define currently and is the same regardless of IOS routing
protocols/bgp being 64 bit based for some time.

I discovered this limitation when doing some smoke testing of ASR1001
as route server few months back and platform folks have confirmed such
hard-coded design.

Just thought you may find this not too well documented nit a bit
useful. But do not get me wrong .. if there is any platform I would
recommend from current cisco offering it would be only ASR1K family ;-)

Cheers,
R.